Day 23: Eat a Healthy Snack
Eating a healthy diet is one of the most important things you can do to help keep your heart in good shape. But eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to skimp on flavor.
Here are several delicious snack options to keep your taste buds happy, while reducing saturated fat and empty calories. And we won’t tell if you want to keep the “healthy” part to yourself.
- Raw Veggies with Low-fat Greek Yogurt-based Dip or Hummus. Try this instead of ranch dressing or sour cream-based dip. Cut up carrots, celery and broccoli and serve.
- Natural or Low-fat Popcorn. Lightly salted or unsalted (and without butter).
- Guacamole. Simply combine 2-3 ripe avocados with a tablespoon of lime juice, dash of salt and ground black pepper to taste. Yum.
- Healthier Chips! Get creative (and colorful). Serve baked chips, sweet potato chips, kale or beet chips, or blue corn tortilla chips. Serve in a bowl. Tip: For easier portion control, never nosh on snack foods straight from the bag.
- Spinach Quesadillas. Start with whole grain tortillas, sautéed spinach and your favorite low-fat cheese. Place ingredients on tortilla, top with another and lightly sauté or grill each side to melt the cheese. Remove from heat, cut into wedges and serve warm (with guacamole or salsa).
- Lightly-salted Pretzels.
- Fresh Fruit. Cut up fresh pineapple, strawberries, apple, and cantaloupe into bite size chunks and while you’re at it, toss in some blueberries.
- Raw Almonds. Pour in a small bowl, grab a handful and share.
Miss a Tip?Catch up on all of the heart notes.
See our Heart Month Calendar