Are you ready to conquer your hip pain? 
Schedule a consultation with a specialist to learn more about your options today.

By submitting this form you agree to receive periodic health related information and updates. We welcome your comments, questions and suggestions. We cannot give you medical advice via e-mail. To discuss any medical symptoms or conditions contact your physician or other healthcare professional. In the case of a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room immediately.

Conquer Stairs Without Joint Pain

Is knee or hip pain making it hard to live your life to the fullest?

When you have knee or hip pain, it affects your whole life—it may be hard to sleep, work, exercise, enjoy your family life and more. Of course, you want answers. You want to know what’s causing the pain, how it can be treated, both non-surgically and, if necessary, surgically. Seeing a doctor is your first step in becoming pain-free and being able to return to your normal, everyday activities. Coral Gables Hospital, the first in Miami-Dade County to achieve designation by The Joint Commission for both hip and knee replacement, offers tips to help you prepare to discuss your pain with your doctor.

doctor with patient by bedside

Expect that your doctor may:

  • Conduct a physical exam - Your doctor may look at your joint and assess it for swelling, warmth and/or tenderness.  He or she will gently manipulate the joint to judge range of motion (and if anything hurts when you bend and straighten). Your gait (how you walk) may be assessed, as well as how stable your joint is when you stand and move. He or she will listen for crepitus, which is a grinding noise in the joint that can indicate joint damage.

  • Ask questions - Your doctor will ask questions, such as how long you’ve been in pain, how much you exercise and what kind, what you do in your daily life or work that can affect your hip, and what you’ve done so far to relieve the pain.

  • Take imaging tests - You might get an X-ray, which can show if you have arthritis and if so, what kind. An X-ray can show, for example, a narrowing of the space in the joint, and/or other issues, like bone spurs, that are indicators of arthritis. Your doctor may also order an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan, a CT (computed tomography) scan, or a bone scan. These tests help show the condition of your joint as well as the soft structures (muscles, ligaments, tendons) around it.

Our Location